Ceiling Fan Sparks Electrical Fire on Bradford’s South Central Street

Residents at a South Central Street home were evacuated around 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 24, Haverhill Fire Department Chief William Laliberty tells WHAV. (File photograph)

Wiring from a ceiling fan sparked an overnight fire on Bradford’s South Central Street, leaving several residents displaced just before Christmas, the Haverhill Fire Department tells WHAV.

First responders were dispatched to 29 South Central St. at 1:19 a.m. Monday, Dec. 24 to battle an electrical fire in a third-story bedroom ceiling. Fire Chief William Laliberty tells WHAV the fan’s wiring was smoldering in the ceiling and residents saw flames after the fan fell to the floor.

No injuries were reported and all residents of the two-family home were evacuated. The Red Cross is assisting those displaced from the property, which was rendered uninhabitable due to fire, water and soot damage to both units.