Police Make Three Arrests in Previously Unsolved Murder of Bryce Finn

The scene in front of 54 Rainbow Drive, Tuesday, June 6, 2017. (WHAV News photograph.)

Police have made three arrests in what had been the unsolved murder of 18-year-old Bryce T. Finn 13 months ago.

Nicholas Mandato (Booking photograph courtesy of the Sussex Correctional Institution)

Twenty-year-old Nicholas Mandato, 21-year-old Thomas Warner and 18-year-old Kenneth Pitts, all of Delaware, were arrested separately, according to Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett and Haverhill Police Chief Alan R. DeNaro. Specific charges were not listed, but Mandato, of Dagsboro, Del., faces arraignment tomorrow afternoon in Haverhill District Court, sitting in Newburyport. He was arrested on a Haverhill warrant by the Delaware State Police Homicide Unit, waived rendition and returned to Massachusetts today.

Delaware State Police also arrested Warner, of Selbyville, Del., who turned himself in, and Pitts, of Frankford, Del., who was arrested “without incident” in Bethany Beach, Del. The two men are currently held at the Sussex Correctional Institution in Georgetown, Del.

Haverhill Mayor James J. Fiorentini told WHAV, “Haverhill Police have worked night and day and have been out of state interviewing witness and investigating.”

“I’m very proud of the Haverhill Police. They did a great job,” he said. “When this happened, I made a pledge that we’d catch the person or persons responsible…This sends a message that if you commit a crime, we will catch you and we will prosecute you,” he added. “My heart goes out to the Finn family. This has been so devastating. I hope this brings them some peace.”

DeNaro said, “After more than one year of intense investigative effort, the Haverhill Police Department is pleased that we were able to successfully bring closure for the Finn family regarding this tragic event…Those responsible will be vigorously prosecuted.”

Thomas Warner (Booking photograph courtesy of the Sussex Correctional Institution)

Kenneth Pitts (Booking photograph courtesy of the Sussex Correctional Institution)

Finn was shot in the chest around 9:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 6, when answering his Rainbow Drive front door. He was taken to Merrimack Valley Hospital—Haverhill where he was pronounced dead. He had graduated from Haverhill High School just a week before. Adding an additional layer of mystery, his home was broken into a few days later by one or more intruders.

“I’m grateful to the state police and Haverhill Detectives for their hard work and diligence in pursuing justice for Mr. Finn,” said Blodgett. “I particularly want to thank the Delaware State Police Homicide Unit for their professionalism and assistance during this phase of the investigation,” he added.