Chamber Plans Trolley Tour of Haverhill’s Historic and Cultural Sites

The Greater Haverhill Chamber of Commerce is celebrating Haverhill’s 375th Anniversary with a trolley tour of five historic and cultural sites in September.

Trolley buses will pickup passengers at Tattersall Farm and then make stops at the Firefighter’s Museum, Winnekenni Castle, Whittier Birthplace and the Buttonwoods Museum before returning to Tattersall Sept. 17, from 5 to 9 p.m.

Each stop features food and beverages from local establishments and tours of each site.

Reservations are required as space is limited. Tickets are $30 and may be purchased at the Greater Haverhill Chamber of Commerce, . For information, call (978) 373-5663 or email [email protected].

Tattersall Farm: A 150-acre farm, previously owned and worked by the Tattersall family for most of the 20th century. It was left to the city upon Mary Alice Tattersall’s death in 1999. It remains a working farm.

Haverhill Firefighting Museum: Home to one of the largest collections of New England Firefighting History in New England.

Winnekenni Castle: The castle was built by Dr. James R. Nichols in 1873. The original structure contained a gothic door opening up to a spacious Grecian Drawing Room, a Pompeian style dining room and Roman-tiled, black-walnut finished library.

Whittier Birthplace: The 70-acre farm was home to famous poet and abolitionist John Greenleaf Whittier. This treasure remains substantially the same as when the poet lived there. The farm, built in 1688 by one of Whittier’s ancestors, is the setting for one Whittier’s most popular poems, Snow-Bound.

Buttonwoods Museum: A visit to the 1710 John Ward House begins a journey into life in the area during and after English settlement. The museum also houses furniture, ceramics, glassware, quilts, dolls and toys. A visit to the main Duncan House illustrates the importance of the Merrimack River in trade, commerce and travel.