Boy Who Threatened to ‘Shoot Up’ Methuen School Enters Counseling Program

(File photograph)

The 12-year-old boy arrested Monday and charged with making a social media threat to “shoot up” Methuen’s Tenney Grammar School has agreed to enter a diversion program through the Essex County District Attorney’s office, WHAV has confirmed.

The program offers youth—typically first-time offenders—an alternative to court proceedings, District Attorney Jonathan W. Blodgett’s spokeswoman Carrie Kimball said. While specifics of the boy’s agreement are not being disclosed, Kimball told WHAV diversion programs often include counseling and community service.

He also may be asked to issue a letter of apology or restitution if appropriate, Kimball said. Upon successful completion of the program, the juvenile’s charges will be dismissed.

As WHAV previously reported, Tenney School officials traced an Instagram threat back to the boy on Monday after he allegedly threatened to “shoot up” the school, and named a particular employee in his online message.

Arraigned Tuesday in Lawrence Juvenile Court, the boy is charged with making threats against a school and threatening to commit murder, police said.

Comments are closed.