I-495 Bridge Replacement Project Calls for Daytime Lane Closures Starting Monday

Continuing work on the $102 million I-495 Haverhill bridge replacement project calls for a southbound lane closure beginning Monday and a northbound lane closure beginning Tuesday.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation reports a single left lane on I-495 south will close along exits 48, 49 and 50 in Haverhill during the daytime hours of 7 a.m.-4 p.m., through Thursday, May 7. The closure is necessary for pier protection barrier work at the River Street and Industrial Avenue (Ward Hill) overpass.

A single right lane on I-495 north between exits 48 and 49 in Haverhill closes 7 a.m.-4 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday, May 5 and 6. The closure is necessary for pier protection barrier and drainage work.

Three lanes of a new northbound bridge have been completed and are carrying traffic. The new bridges are designed to last 75 years as opposed to the existing bridges built less than 60 years ago. Officials say the goals are to eliminate “constant emergency repair work,” improve roadway safety with full-width breakdown lanes and provide a dedicated exit lane on the northbound bridge for exit 49, near Westgate Center.

The old, twin bridges are 712 feet long with four piers per bridge in the Merrimack River. The new bridges use two piers each. The federal government is paying 80% of the project cost with the state pay the remaining 20%.

Comments are closed.