Small Fire Temporarily Closes Haverhill Public Works Garage; Calls Still Being Handled by 311

Haverhill Public Works Department, 500 Primrose St. (WHAV News file photograph.)

A small fire overnight at the city’s Public Works garage was apparently caused by a ceiling fan.

Quick response by an overnight staffer helped contain the damage, but the building at 500 Primrose St. is closed today for repairs. Haverhill Fire Chief William F. Laliberty said the fire was already out when firefighters arrived.

“They had a fan in the ceiling. The fan motor seized and it caused a fire up in the ceiling,” Laliberty said.

The chief said the building does not have a fire alarm system and he has previously recommended one be installed. He said such a system is not necessarily required by codes because of the age and size of the building.

Mayoral spokesperson Shawn P. Regan said citizen calls are still being handled though calls to 311 and the department remains on the job. “It appears that there is a lot of smoke damage, minimal structural damage and some damage to wiring. A lot of the panels, ceiling tiles, etc. will need to be replaced. Servpro is there today cleaning up,” he said.

Comments are closed.