Haverhill Police, Animal Control Rescue Burned, Infected Dog From ‘Horrible’ Keeley Street Conditions

Charles Manjounes was summonsed to court on an animal cruelty charge. (Haverhill Police booking photograph)

Haverhill Police and the city’s Animal Control officers rescued a severely mistreated Terrier mix from conditions on Keeley Street that were so squalid a first responder vomited during the save.

According to just-released court documents obtained by WHAV, Animal Control Officer Michelle Cannon was sent to 94 Keeley St. on June 19 to check on a found dog reported to be in “bad condition.”

When Cannon approached the Terrier mix in a maroon carrier—which the caller said was initially found in the driveway of the home—the animal was “severely matted, smelled horrible and was crying while lying up against a dirty pillow.” Taken to Riverside Veterinary Clinic for further treatment, the dog, named Oscar by his caretakers, was urine-soaked and covered in feces and maggots.

As Oscar was tended to, Cannon described the scene in the veterinary clinic as simply unbearable. “My eyes were watering, I had a burning sensation in my nose and I could feel it in my nose,” said Cannon, who wrote in her incident that she had to leave the clinic to vomit.

Given antibiotics and pain medication, Oscar was later determined to be suffering from liver failure, and in order to end his suffering, veterinary staff made the decision to “humanely euthanize him,” Cannon said.

Over the next two weeks, an MSPCA law enforcement officer and Haverhill Police Det. Kevin Portnoy joined Cannon to investigate the conditions resulting in Oscar’s death. Returning to 94 Keeley St. on June 25, Cannon met with the woman who first reported the incident, Evangela Andrianakos, along with her 56-year-old brother Charles Manjounes.

According to Cannon, Manjounes quickly became agitated. “He stated multiple times that unless we were to give him an award and a cake he would not speak to us,” she said.

Shortly after that meeting, both Andrianakos and Manjounes refused to participate in the investigation, telling Portnoy through their attorney they feared for their safety if they were to be observed cooperating with police.

Portnoy later discovered the siblings allegedly presented “misleading and conflicting reports” about how the dog ended up in the driveway of their home. Due to the fact that they were the last “responsible parties” to be in custody of Oscar and did not attempt to get him treatment for his injuries, police summonsed the pair to Haverhill District Court.

Represented in arraignment court by Attorney Tom Torrisi Oct. 15, Manjounes was released on his own recognizance by Judge Stephen Abany. He next appears in court in November. An update on his sister’s case status was not immediately available.

Comments are closed.