Fiorentini, Michitson, Sullivan Top Haverhill Democrats’ Straw Polls

Mayor James J. Fiorentini greeted supporters outside the Haverhill Democratic City Committee Breakfast Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019. (Courtesy photograph)

The (straw poll) votes have been counted and with less than two months to go until Election Day, Haverhill Democrats have made their voices heard. At Saturday’s annual Haverhill Democratic City Committee Breakfast at Maria’s restaurant, attendees cast ballots in the municipal races for mayor, City Council and School Committee.

In the mayoral race, incumbent James J. Fiorentini easily walked away a winner, nabbing 86 percent of the vote over first-time challenger, Haverhill Police Officer Dan Trocki, who received the other 14 percent.

Fiorentini tells WHAV he was thrilled to take top honors over the weekend. “I’m very grateful to the Haverhill Democratic City Committee and those who attended for their overwhelming support. I’ll never take anyone’s support for granted. I’m going to continue to work hard and to go to every neighborhood in the city and I hope to earn the votes of our citizens.”

In the race for City Council, current President John A. Michitson was a hit with breakfast voters, earning 56 percent of the vote. Newcomers Joseph Sherlock and Nicholas Golden followed with 55 and 52 percent of the votes respectively.

Incumbent School Committee member Gail M. Sullivan won 86 percent of voters’ support, followed by newcomer Thomas W. Grannemann (51 percent) and Sven A. Amirian (48 percent).

Participants also voted for presidential candidates, with 37 percent of voters casting ballots for Elizabeth Warren. Joe Biden received 24 percent of the vote, with Pete Buttigieg coming in third at 14 percent.

Haverhill’s municipal election takes place Tuesday, Nov. 5.



James J. Fiorentini, 86 percent

Daniel S. Trocki, 14 percent


Joseph J. Bevilacqua, 19 percent

Michael S. McGonagle, 3 percent

Douglas W. Edison, 48 percent

Bill Macek, 37 percent

Nicholas J. Golden, 52 percent

Fred A. Simmons, 34 percent

Thomas J. Sullivan, 47 percent

Shaun P. Toohey, 6 percent

John A. Michitson, 56 percent

Kenneth E. Quimby, 14 percent

Melinda E. Barrett, 49 percent

Timonthy J. Jordan, 30 percent

Mary Ellen Daly O’Brien, 36 percent

Stavros A. Dimakis, 4 percent

Joseph Patrick Sherlock, 55 percent

Colin F. LePage, 38 percent


Scott W. Wood Jr. 27 percent

Stephanie Lyn Viola, 8 percent

Toni A. Sapienza-Donais, 15 percent

Sven A. Amirian, 48 percent

Thomas W. Grannemann, 51 percent

Gail M. Sullivan, 82 percent

Comments are closed.