Haverhill Motorcyclist, 26, Dies From Injuries; Friend Warns ‘Look Twice, Save a Life’

(Nick Catania photograph.)

Cory Croteau on his 26th birthday earlier this month. (Nick Catania photograph.)

The 26-year-old motorcycle driver, injured in a crash Thursday on Haverhill’s River Street, has died of his injuries.

Friends report Cory W. Croteau died Saturday at a Boston Hospital after being placed on life support. He was a lifelong Haverhill resident, living with his parents Mike and Traci less than a minute from the accident scene, his friend Nick Catania told WHAV.

“He helped me build a few of my lifted trucks. He enjoyed NASCAR with his family and friends, and he also loved mud truck events like Vermonster and Proving Grounds,” Catania said.

Croteau also leaves his older sister Kerri, who moved a few years ago to Connecticut. He studied Automotive and Diesel Technology at Universal Technical Institute, Norwood, after graduating from Haverhill High School. He worked at United Site Service as a diesel mechanic.

Part of him will live on, Catania said, explaining Croteau became an organ donor and all of his organs passed required tests, and the search is on for the right matches.

Catania created a GoFundMe page to collect donations. As of Sunday night, 42 people had donated $5,500 toward a goal of $15,000 to help his parents pay medical expenses and funeral costs. He used the page to remind people to watch for motorcycles. “Look twice, save a life.” He explained he believes Croteau was cut off when a car crossed in front of him.

To celebrate Croteau’s life and aid in fundraising, family and friends also met Saturday night at Crow’s Nest Pub and Grill in Plaistow, N.H.

Just after noon, Thursday, police and fire units responded to the area of 449 River St., to tend to a “serious” accident between a car and the motorcycle, Haverhill Police Captain Robert P. Pistone previously told WHAV.

Croteau was first taken to Lawrence General Hospital and then Medflighted to Boston. Police said no arrests have been made and the accident is still under investigation.

Funeral and calling hour arrangements have not been announced as of news deadline.

Following the accident, River Street was blocked to through traffic while State Police and Haverhill Police accident reconstruction teams investigated.