Clothes Dryer Fire Causes Smoke and Water Damage, But No Injuries, at Andover Home

(File photograph)

The quick actions of an Andover woman saved her family and her home from major damage Tuesday, firefighters said. (File photograph)

A house fire in the wall behind a clothes dryer left an Andover family’s home with smoke and water damage after a quickly contained blaze Tuesday morning, Fire Chief Michael Mansfield said.

Firefighters were dispatched to 51 Andover St., just after 10 a.m. on August 7 for a report of a possible dryer fire. The caller and her family evacuated the 1 ½-story home as smoke billowed from the rear of the property. The fire was actively burning in the wall next to the dryer and was brought under control within 10 minutes’ of firefighters’ arrival. No injuries were reported.

“This mother's quick thinking and immediate call for help ultimately prevented a tragedy today,” Mansfield said. “Her actions also greatly minimized the damage to her home.”

The fire is not considered suspicious, the fire chief said, adding that the cause is believed to be a dryer malfunction.