A three-alarm fire is raging downtown, police have taped off a city block after reports of shots fired and the City Council just reached an impasse on a spending plan. It’s all happening during a typical, frenetic radio news deadline.
If you thrive in such a pressure-filled environment and can quickly turn out a clear, accurate and objective newscast and online postings, 97.9 WHAV FM may have a job for you. WHAV, as the only Haverhill-based news source, has openings for one or more part-time experienced reporters or reporter/anchors.
This is a unique opportunity to receive highly competitive compensation, grow with an entrepreneurial news operation and work in state-of-the-art broadcast facilities.
Specify availability, early morning, mid-days or nights/weekends, and capabilities—on-air or off.
To be considered, upload introductory letter, resume and multiple news writing samples (URLs accepted) using the form below. Interested, but not sure you meet all requirements? Just ask in your introductory letter.
WHAV is an equal opportunity employer.
- Exercise solid, objective and ethical news judgment
- Develop original story ideas, track issues and events
- Interview, write and self-edit for on-air and online audiences
- Record and edit audio
- Develop and maintain news sources
- Serve as public face of WHAV News in the community
- A four-year degree in journalism — or demonstrated combination of training and experience
- Minimum two years professional experience in journalism — preferably in a multi-platform news environment
- A “can-do,” nothing gets in the way, attitude
- Competitive—first with the news—spirit
- Adept at determining and focusing on what listeners and readers care most about
- Ability to quickly interpret and write reports on often-complex subjects
- Deal effectively with simultaneous tasks
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Superb grammar, spelling
- Associated Press style proficiency
- Curious mind
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Maintain/update computer skills:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Digital audio editing software
- Social media platforms (particularly Facebook)
- Adobe Photoshop
Additional Requirements (Anchors)
- Good voice
- Excellent pronunciation
- Strong delivery
- Working knowledge of broadcast equipment