Permit Reminder From the Haverhill City Clerk

Haverhill City Hall. (WHAV News file photograph.)

With the nicer weather coming, the Haverhill City Clerk would like to remind residents and organizations that certain activities require a permit, license or permission from the city:

Raffle and Bazaars – permits are required from the City for raffles/bazaars including 50/50 raffles. These are only granted to nonprofit organizations and require permission from the police department.  Raffles are overseen by the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office.

Auction/Auctioneer permits are required for any such activity from the City Council.

Flea markets and yard sales – permits are required from the Clerk’s office for flea markets and yard sales.

Events involving alcohol – permission to sell alcohol in the City is strictly regulated by the Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission and is granted by the Haverhill License Commission. Please contact the office if you are planning an event involving alcohol.

Event Permits– comprehensive application to be filled out by event organizers for events open to the public in the City, whether on public or private property.  Completed applications are sent to various city department for comments and approval or denial.

If you have questions about any of these activities, please feel free to contact the Haverhill City Clerk at [email protected] or call 978-374-2312.  Holding these activities without the proper permissions or permits may incur fines or other legal actions.

Further information is available on the City Clerk website: