A Dec. 17 house fire left a Haverhill family of four without a place to live just days before Christmas. (WHAV News photograph)
The city of Haverhill is rallying around a family displaced from their Philip Street home after a fire just days before Christmas.
Stephen Clark, his wife and their two grandchildren escaped the blaze without injury around 2 a.m. Sunday. Haverhill Fire Chief William Laliberty told WHAV the fire’s cause was “most probably electrical.”
While the 14 Philip St., home suffered $150,000 worth of damage, officials say the property can be remodeled and saved. In the meantime, the family is dealing with the loss of personal belongings, home furnishings and Christmas gifts.
Locals have quick come to the aid of Clark, who serves as the Chief of Officials for USA Boxing’s New England chapter.
Updating the public during Monday’s City Council meeting, Councilor Joseph J. Bevilacqua said business owner James Cassell contacted him to offer Lucky’s Pizza on Primrose Street as a donation point.
Checks made out to Stephen Clark can be dropped off or mailed to 251 Primrose St., Haverhill, MA 01830.
State Rep. Andy Vargas has been in contact with the Clark family and applauds the community for helping a neighbor in need.
“It’s really tough to have this fire occur right around the holidays, severely affecting this family. However, if there can be a bright spot, the Haverhill community has rallied behind them and stepped up to support financially and with holiday gifts,” Vargas told WHAV.
A GoFundMe online fundraiser, started by Clark’s sister Maureen Meletis, has raised $3,800.