Rocks Village Toll House in the condition it was found by automaker Henry Ford in 1928. (From the Collections of The Henry Ford.)
Walking tours of the historic Rocks Village neighborhood, featuring such local landmarks as the Rocks Village Bridge and 1840 Hand Tub House, take place next month.
Tales of merchants, shipbuilders and a purported witch are among the stories to be told of the once bustling community of stores, taverns and wharfs, settled in the late seventeenth century.
Historic New England, in partnership with Rocks Village Memorial Association, conduct tours April 22—the first from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. and another from 1 to 2 p.m., beginning at the Hand Tub house. Parking is at 366 Amesbury Line Road. The cost is $10 per person.
Lydia Harris, of the Rocks Village Memorial Association, neighbor Susan Bailey and Historic New England’s Sarah Jaworski have been researching the neighborhood’s history dating back to the early 1700s. They are developing a web page and will assemble a small museum at the Toll House, which is expected to launch this fall.
Call 617-994-5970 for more information or register online at http://shop.historicnewengland.org/HQ-ROCKVILLAGE-1-10159/.