Democrat Kevin Coppinger as he appeared on WHAV’s Open Mike Show.
Haverhill Police Chief Alan R. DeNaro is one of 48 current and former police chiefs endorsing Democrat Kevin Coppinger as the next Essex County sheriff.
The candidate formally made the announcement this morning.
Coppinger “has been a true leader in advancing public policy and creating best practices for police department executives in the interest of safety and security for the citizens of our county for more than a decade,” DeNaro was quoted as saying.
“I know from my own experience that police avoid politics and never endorse political candidates unless they think it is really important. I am humbled by the 48 current and former chiefs from across the county who are publicly giving me their vote of confidence,” Coppinger said.
Coppinger, currently Lynn police chief, says he brings three decades of experience and training at every level of law enforcement, and has bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Criminal Justice, FBI Academy training and extensive work with community policing partnering with organizations. He has also received the endorsement of the Massachusetts Major Cities Chiefs organization, the Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association, former Essex District Attorney and state Secretary of Public Safety Kevin Burke and former Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
The following chiefs have allowed their names to be added to the endorsement list.
- Amesbury: Kevin Ouellet
- Andover: Patrick Keefe
- Beverly: John LeLacheur, John Finnegan, ret.
- Boxford: James B. Riter, Michael Murphy, ret.
- Danvers: Patrick Ambrose, Neil Ouellette, ret.
- Essex: Peter Silva
- Georgetown: Donald Cudmore, James Mulligan, ret.
- Gloucester: James Marr, ret.
- Groveland: Robert Kirmelewicz and Jeffrey Gillen (next chief)
- Hamilton: Russell Stevens
- Haverhill: Alan DeNaro
- Ipswich: Paul Nikas, Charles Surpitski, ret.
- Lawrence: James Fitzpatrick
- Lynn: John Suslak, ret.
- Lynnfield: David Breen
- Manchester by the Sea: Todd Fitzgerald, Glenn McKiel, ret.
- Marblehead: Robert Picariello
- Merrimac: Eric Shears
- Methuen: Joe Solomon
- Middleton: James DiGianvittorio
- Nahant: Robert Dwyer
- Newbury: Michael Reilly
- Newburyport: Mark Murray, Tom Howard, ret.
- North Andover: Charles Gray, Paul Gallagher, ret.
- Peabody: Thomas Griffin, Robert Champagne, ret.
- Rockport: John Horvatti
- Rowley: Kevin Barry, ret
- Salem: Mary Butler, Paul Tucker, ret., Robert St. Pierre, ret.
- Salisbury: Thomas Fowler
- Saugus: Domenic DiMella
- Swampscott: Ronald Madigan
- Topsfield: Evan Hagland
- Wenham: Thomas Perkins, Kenneth Walsh, ret., Peter Carnes, ret.
- West Newbury: Arthur Reed