Unattended Cooking Oil Cause of Tuesday Primrose St. Fire

An unattended pan with cooking oil is determined by Haverhill fire investigators as the cause of a “minor” kitchen fire at a Primrose Street apartment Tuesday afternoon.

The single-alarm fire, reported at about 2 p.m., caused an estimated $5,000 damage to one apartment in a six-unit building at 143 Primrose St., according to Haverhill Fire Chief William F. Laliberty.

“An unattended pan of oil ignited and started a fire,” Lalilberty told WHAV. He said all occupants were safely evacuated, however an unidentified elderly male resident was transported to a local hospital, as a precaution, for an evaluation.

“Due to his age he was transported, out of precaution, from the stresses of the fire,” Lalibety said. No further information about his condition was available.

As damage was limited to one unit, its residents were displaced by the fire while others were later allowed to return to their apartments, Laliberty added. It was unknown how many were living in the damaged apartment.

Laliberty credited a “quick response and knockdown” by Haverhill firefighters with limiting the damage.